SECS Academic Advising Office
159-A Dodge Hall of Engineering
(248) 370-2201 FAX: (248) 370-2084
UNDERGRADUATE ADVISING HOURS BY APPOINTMENT:
Advising appointments are scheduled daily Monday thru Friday and early evening appointments are available, but vary from week to week. Call (248) 370-2201 to schedule an appointment. Walk-in times are available during the peak registration times, call for hours.
AN ACADEMIC ADVISER CAN HELP YOU:
- Develop an educational plan for your program of study (see SECS Undergraduate Handbook. FORMS).
- Select appropriate courses and additional educational experiences.
- Evaluate your progress toward established goals.
- Address academic difficulties.
- Interpret and clarify policies and procedures.
- Enhance your awareness of educational resources.
- Develop your decision-making skills.
- Determine your career and life goals.
- Find information about careers and fields of study.
- Explore career options.
- Change your major.
- Apply for major standing.
- Review progress toward fulfillment of degree requirements.
- Understand and resolve transfer issues.
- Refer you to campus resources such as the Offices of Financial Aid, Student Employment and Veteran's Affairs, the Academic Skills Center and personal counseling.
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES AS A STUDENT:
- Take the initiative and make an appointment: (248) 370-2201.
- Prepare a list of questions or concerns before your appointment.
- If you are a transfer student, bring a copy of your transfer credit evaluation or transcripts. During registration periods, bring a tentative schedule.
- Bring your plan of study; bring copies of other relevant materials.
- Be aware of important deadlines.
- Understand requirements for your major and degree.
- Learn to make decisions. Advisers can present options, but you must make the decisions.
- Know academic policies and procedures.
- Ask questions if anything is unclear.
- READ YOUR UNDERGRADUATE CATALOG!
THE ADVISING OFFICE OFFERS THE FOLLOWING OU LINKS TO HELP YOU WITH SPECIFIC NEEDS AND CONCERNS: