I. IN MOODLE, INTEGRATE YOUR COURSE WITH PANOPTO
First, the instructor logs into Moodle and integrates their course with Panopto. This process will make a folder on Panopto for the course. Any content, such as Panopto recordings, that is put in that folder will be available to users of that Moodle course. Here are the steps the instructor will take to provision the course:
Log into Moodle and go into a course in which you are the instructor.
- From the main course page, click TURN EDITING ON in the upper right.
- Pull down the BLOCKS menu and add the PANOPTO FOCUS block
- Click on the Pencil icon in the Panopto Focus block.
- Click the ADD THIS COURSE TO PANOPTO link. This will add the course where you are located at the moment to the Panopto server rather than a different previously existing course. If this was successful, then click on BACK TO CONFIG.
- (Optional) Because the Moodle and Panopto servers are not linked to automatically add new students, if you have adds and drops at the beginning of a semester, you may need to reclick ADD THIS COURSE TO PANOPTO occasionally to re-add and sync new students.
- Return to your homepage. Your future Panopto recordings will link from the Panopto Focus block and be accessible here.
- Click on COURSE SETTINGS to get to the settings for the recordings on the Panopto server, where you can choose to allow students to download the recordings or not, make their notes public or not, and finetune the accessibility of the recordings.
- If users want to view the recording in iTunes rather than their computer, they can click one of the Podcast feeds.
II. RECORD YOUR PANOPTO CONTENT
In this phase the instructor will record their content.There are two ways to do this:
- Use the classroom computer where the Panopto software has been pre-installed. Login to the classroom computer with your ADMNET login. The classroom computers are supported by CSITS at http://www.oakland.edu/csits/ and availble by phone at (248) 370-2461.
- Use your own laptop (and its built-in camera or webcam) and connect to the classroom projector (or use in your office to just make a recording). From your Moodle course, in the Panopto block on the homepage, you may click on DOWNLOAD RECORDER or, alternatively, go to lecturecapture.oakland.edu and click on DOWNLOAD RECORDER in the upper righthand corner to download the recording software.
- The first time you open the Panopto software, you will be asked for the following information:
- Server: Type, lecturecapture.oakland.edu
- Provider: Pick Moodle
- Login: Use your NetID (oakland email login)
- Check Save.
- Go to a computer where the Panopto recorder is installed and the hardware (camera, microphone, etc) is configured.
- Start the recorder, and click the button that says "log in with Moodle". This will bring up a moodle login screen. Click on Providers: and choose Moodle.
- Login using your Moodle credentials.
- Click CREATE NEW RECORDING.
- The recorder should start. At this point, click on the big down arrow button on the right side of the screen. Click the "ADD NEW SESSION" button beside the course you want to add the content into or choose the proper course. All the courses you have previously provisioned should appear here.
- If you want, you can rename the new session (it will just be a day/date/timestamp by default).
- Check the video display and the meter levels in the "PRIMARY SOURCE" frame of the panopto recorder to make sure the camera and the microphone are picking you up. The Level and color squares should light up when you are speaking.
- Click START RECORDING to start the recording. Minimize the Panopto Focus window, so you avoid the screen window within a window within a window effect. (The Macintosh screen for the recorder is below.)
- Click STOP when you are done recording
- After you stop recording, the panopto recorder should automatically jump to the "recording status" screen and you should see the recording upload and process. Note that this can take quite awhile if your recording is long.
- Now if you go back into Moodle, you (and your students) should see the new recording in the Panopto Focus block. Clicking on the link to the recording should bring up a new window with the panopto recording inside it.
III. EDIT YOUR RECORDING
- Open the Panopto Recorder software again, choose your completed recording under Session and click on MANAGE ONLINE RECORDINGS.
- Find the course and recording under MyFolders to the left.
- Scroll over the name of the recording until icons show up. To the right of the recording that you want to edit,in the Actions box, click the clapboard icon (Edit).
- Click MODIFY to get to the Editor. The editor is useful for two reasons primarily--deleting content and adding chapters or divisions in the content.
- Delete areas of content: Click on the scissors. Click and drag areas on the timeline that should be deleted, like too much empty space at the beginning or ending or any personal identifying information from the students.
- Add Chapter Events: Click (and place a red vertical bar) on the timeline where new chapters should begin. Click on ADD NEW EVENT on the lower left. Click on the computer screen stream in the timeline (green background). Give a caption name and any metadata terms. Click OK.
- Save (in upper right).
- Go back to your your Moodle course, when the processing is over, and double-check the result.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.