I. Disadvantages with iPad use out of town compared to a laptop
• Sign up to OU or other wireless confusing because of saved Safari page organization/
• No attachments for email, so can’t resend emails with attachments.
• Can’t upload files to Moodle or use formatting html editor in Moodle.
• Can’t do Flash.
• Apps on iTunes account are different for iPhone and iPad so things are confused.
• Have to look at fingers while typing.
• No Save or easy file manipulation, but you can use Dropbox as online storage.
• Bright screen, small and easy to carry.
• Silent when typing.
• Good apps, cool look to functionality.
• Long battery.
• Easy to share with others at meetings.
• Instant start-up.
• Fast, fast, fast.
• For bulk purchases of iPad apps (paid by a department), email your request to email@example.com. UTS will help departments out with discounted bulk purchases.
I. Book Apps
iBooks – Free - has more books than iTunes, no social contact
Inkling – Free
Kindle – Free - has social functions
Kobo – Free
Stanza – Free
II. Content Consumption Apps
InstaPaper - $4.99
TED - Free
Reeder - $4.99
Cooliris Discover Wikipedia – Free
Cooliris Decks - Free
Flipbook - magazine aggregator – Free
Zite – personalized magazine
III. Discipline Specific Knowledge Apps
Art Authority - $9.99
Bento - Free
Blueprint Lite - Free
3D Brain - Free
Calorie Tracker Lite - Free
Coaster Physics - $.99
Declaration - Free
History of Jazz - $9.99
Know Your Rights- Free
MathBoard - $4.99
Pedlar Lady of Gushing Cross - $6.99
Planets – Free
Pocket (p)Universe - $3.99
Solar System for iPad - $13.99
WebMD – Free
IV. Note-Taking Apps
aNote Lite – free
AudioBoo – free – podcasts 5 min.
Flashcards App HD - Free
iAnnotate (for PDFs)—$9.99
InClass - Free
neu.Annotate - Free
Note Taker HD - $4.99
Notes – built in
Simplenote - Free
V. Content Creation
Documents 2 - Free
eBook Magic – build ePub files on desktop - $3.99
Creative Book Builder – build ePub files on desktop - $3.99
Keynote, Numbers, Pages - $10
QuickOffice - $10
ScreenChomp – Doodling Board – Free
VI. Storage, Sharing, and Synching Apps
Dropbox – Free
Teamviewer—Free for personal use—remote for another computer
VII. Interactive Apps
Facetime – Builtin - video chat
Google+ - Free - to replace Facebook
Polldaddy - Free
Polling: Safari – Builtin - Moodle’s Choice - use instead of Clickers in classroom
SCVNGR – Free - GPS based scavenger hunt activity