Scantron: Quizzes and Exams
Quizzes and Exams on ParSCORE software
Many faculty with large classes that use objective-type exams and quizzes with multiple-choice or true-and-false questions prefer to have them machine graded. The e-LIS staff has a scanning station set up in 430 Kresge Library that is open to faculty members from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday. This setup uses the new Scantron scanner and ParSCORE software. In order to use the facility, you will need to make an appointment by calling the e-LIS staff at (248) 370-4566.
I. Before Giving a Scantron Quiz
- Have students buy the following forms: Form ParSCORE F-1712 (200 questions), X-101864 (100 questions) or F-14507 (20 questions) from the Bookstore at Oakland University. One old form, Form no. 16504, can be used with our new Scantron machine and may even be mixed in with new forms without any problems in scanning.
We can't scan Form 882-E, which is only used by the School of Business Administration.
II. Giving a Scantron Quiz
- All students need to fill in their first and last names on the scantron form.
- Your students should enter their Grizzly ID's in the ID box on their form, starting from the left hand side and without the G. So everyone should have just 8 digits. If there are any mistakes, such as leaving a bubble blank, the form will be rejected. The system will need a unique ID number for each student. Your students should use the same ID number each time they take a quiz during the semester. This will eliminate additional students added to your course with the same name and different student ID number.
- The Test Form box on the Scantron form 1712 must be filled out with the exam version letter. If you have one version of the exam or quiz that you are giving to students, have all of them fill in A. If you are giving two versions of the test, call one version A and one version B and have the students fill out that accordingly.
III. Running off Scantron Forms
- Make a 30-minute appointment with e-Learning and Instructional Support in 430 Kresge Library, (248) 370-4566,
to run the forms through the Scantron machine and to learn how to configure the information in the ParSCORE software that is connected to the machine. The demand for this machine is heavy and it is better to have everyone make an appointment to eliminate a long wait. Call 248-370-4566 to make an appointment.
- Acquire a Scantron Account in order to save your results. You can receive an account and/or have the ParSCORE software installed on your office computer by calling the UTS Helpdesk at (248) 370-4357 or fill out the Scantron Account Request Form.
- With a technician's help in the Scantron room, you will create your own courses and columns in ParSCORE that you may use for an entire semester. You will need to bring your test forms with you, and the keys for each version of the tests you are giving. After the initial meeting when your course is configured in the software, you may run paper forms in 430 Kresge Library and the necessary grade reports from your computer in your office if you have the ParSCORE software installed on your machine.
- Schedule the Scantron software (ParSCORE) to be loaded on your office computer to access the reports you may want. If you do not have the Scantron software loaded on your office computer now, please call the UTS Helpdesk at (248) 370-4357.